What’s the difference between an ‘elopement’ and a ‘microwedding’? And which is right for us?
An elopement is an intimate wedding focused on the experience of the couple. A microwedding is a small wedding that focuses on the experience of the couple and the enjoyment of the guests.
Because your idea of “intimate” may be 20 or 30 (or maybe 50) of your nearest and dearest, we also offer Microwedding Packages. Microweddings keep some of the intimacy of an elopement, but add elements to make a small celebration that’s really special for everyone.
While the Wedding Industry doesn’t have hard-and-fast definitions of these terms, there is general agreement on the following:
- Fewer than 10 guests
- Short & sweet ceremony (5 minute)
- No wedding party (just witnesses)
- Event generally lasts < 1 hour
- No décor or set-up
- Personal florals (bouquet or boutonniere) if desired
- Location can be almost anywhere (City Hall, backyard, park or beach)
- Generally no food, unless it’s simple cake & champagne
- Often includes Photographer (<2 hours), portraits possible
- Focus on the couple’s experience
- Between 10-50 guests
- Longer ceremony (10-15 minutes)
- Wedding party (Best Man, Maid of Honor, etc.) optional
- Event can last 3-4 hours
- As much or as little décor, florals, & set-up as couple wants
- Location selected to accommodate # of guests
- Generally includes cocktails, appetizers, or a light meal
- Photographer to capture the entire event (3-4 hours)
- Focus on the couple’s experience and the guests’ enjoyment